[directmusic] Re: directmusic Digest V5 #2

  • From: "Johnny Wingstedt" <johnny.wingstedt@xxxxxx>
  • To: <directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 14:18:40 +0100

I also mourn DirectMusic. Still hoping for a DirectPhoenix to rise from the ashes...

/Johnny Wingstedt

Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 18:12:40 +0100 (CET)
Subject: [directmusic] Re: backwards compatibility with xact...
From: "Jesper Kaae" <jesperkaae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I'm having problems running my DirectMusic productions on Windows Vista,
unless I run them in the Windows XP compatibility mode. Again this is
probably because of the vb scripts.

I have never understood and will never understand why the concept of
DirectMusic had to die such a tragically death.

Jesper Kaae

I glad there are some DirectMusic guys still around, thanks again for
responding.  I'll have to test out the DirectMusic games that I did
that used vb scripting.  BTW, this feels very familiar, Beatnik
anyone?  Alas, iXMF you're are only hope.

Does anyone know if there is a similar email subscription list for
XACT?  After exploring it over the last couple of days, I'm surprised
they dropped all midi and dsl support in it.  Rhythm action games
look like they might be a lot more difficult to do in XACT, but I'll
be finding out in the next few weeks whether we use XACT, or some
other audio middleware solution.

On another note, Alexander Brandon spoke pretty highly about the
Unreal sound engine in his Mix magazine article.

http://mixonline.com/basics/education/audio_audio_middleware_part_2/

Out of curiosity, has anyone licensed just the audio portion of the
Unreal engine?  Do they offer such a thing?  I don't have any
experience with it.

Thanks!

--Michael Sweet

On Nov 7, 2007, at 6:47 PM, David Yackley wrote:

Wow, I didn't think this list still existed either!  Having been
out of MS
for some time I'm way out of the loop - but my understanding is
that there
was some question as to DirectMusic being included in Vista.  Thank
goodness
it is as I am still working on a project that uses DirectMusic.
(Old habits
die hard!)

Thanks for the word on script tracks - you're probably the guy that
made the
most use of that feature, Scott! :)

FYI I think it was DX9 that had the last development on DirectMusic.
David Y

From: michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [directmusic] backwards compatibility with xact...
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 11:17:17 -0500
To: directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hey Everyone - If this list still exists....

Is Microsoft going to continue to support DirectMusic with the
advent
of XACT? I have a project that the styles and chord mapping
features might really be good for, but I'm unclear about whether
DirectMusic is going to be supported in future versions of DirectX.
Does anyone have knowledge of this?

Thanks!

--Michael Sweet

Do you know a place like the back of your hand? Share local
knowledge
with BackOfMyHand.com

--
-Scott Morgan
http://Morganstudios.com

Michael Sweet
Partner / Creative Director

20 West 22nd Street #712, New York, NY 10010
  p. (212) 242-9100 f. (212) 242-1002

End of directmusic Digest V5 #2