[directmusic] Re: directmusic Digest V1 #84

  • From: "Steve Hazel" <stephen_hazel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 11:26:10 -0800

Hi Ziggy and Todor.

I get the digest so I dunno if this reply will go to the list
correctly.  Oh well, everyone else seems to quote HERKIN messages with
no editing so I won't bother feeling guilty if this looks ugly :)

>From: "Ziggy" <ziggy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [directmusic] Reference_Time & Tempo
>Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 11:47:42 +0100
>
>Since Todor told me i can't get a periodic advise from the clock , i try
>to use the ReferenceTime timestamp on my midi events.
>But there is few things I want to know:

If you want to do your own sequencer (as I do), you can check
out some of the code I've posted on another list:
(you'll have to sign up for a yahooid and join the group)

It has a c++ win32 API class (hack) to use DirectMusic's timer and
do your own tempo/timestampin biz...

What you and I are DOING, is basically reinventing the wheel, but
oh well, sometimes that's worthwhile - even if it's just for the
fun of crafting that second wheel :)
My version of the wheel will never hold a candle to Todor's, but
heck, it's a fun way to spend my time...  Why should Microsoft guys
be the only ones to have fun with this?  ;)

>From: "Todor Fay" <todor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [directmusic] Re: Reference_Time & Tempo
>Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 09:02:28 -0800
>But, it looks like you are working at a lower a level, essentially
>writing your own sequencing engine, which is also what we expected some
>people would want to do. In that case you don't need the performance at
>all. But, one responsibility of a sequencing engine is to maintain its
>own tempo map and do its own reference to music time conversions.

So how did you expect other sequencer engine developers to work
with timing?  What clock would be best to listen to?
I guess not the DirectMusic one or the multimedia timer one...
Which should I use?  Please point me in the right direction :)

...Steve