[directmusic] Re: backwards compatibility with xact...

  • From: Michael Sweet <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 09:43:01 -0500

I glad there are some DirectMusic guys still around, thanks again for responding.  I'll have to test out the DirectMusic games that I did that used _vbscript_ing.  BTW, this feels very familiar, Beatnik anyone?  Alas, iXMF you're are only hope.

Does anyone know if there is a similar email subscription list for XACT?  After exploring it over the last couple of days, I'm surprised they dropped all midi and dsl support in it.  Rhythm action games look like they might be a lot more difficult to do in XACT, but I'll be finding out in the next few weeks whether we use XACT, or some other audio middleware solution.

On another note, Alexander Brandon spoke pretty highly about the Unreal sound engine in his Mix magazine article.

Out of curiosity, has anyone licensed just the audio portion of the Unreal engine?  Do they offer such a thing?  I don't have any experience with it.

Thanks!

--Michael Sweet

On Nov 7, 2007, at 6:47 PM, David Yackley wrote:

Wow, I didn't think this list still existed either!  Having been out of MS
for some time I'm way out of the loop - but my understanding is that there
was some question as to DirectMusic being included in Vista.  Thank goodness
it is as I am still working on a project that uses DirectMusic.  (Old habits
die hard!)

Thanks for the word on script tracks - you're probably the guy that made the
most use of that feature, Scott! :)

FYI I think it was DX9 that had the last development on DirectMusic.
David Y

Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 11:17:17 -0500

Hey Everyone - If this list still exists....

Is Microsoft going to continue to support DirectMusic with the
advent
of XACT? I have a project that the styles and chord mapping
features might really be good for, but I'm unclear about whether
DirectMusic is going to be supported in future versions of DirectX.
Does anyone have knowledge of this?

Thanks!

--Michael Sweet

Do you know a place like the back of your hand? Share local knowledge
with BackOfMyHand.com

--
-Scott Morgan

Michael Sweet
Partner / Creative Director

20 West 22nd Street #712, New York, NY 10010
 p. (212) 242-9100 f. (212) 242-1002