[directmusic] Re: backwards compatibility with xact...

  • From: Aaron Leiby <fireonyoursleeve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 22:54:17 -0400

We used DirectMusic in Unreal2, and I tried running it in Vista 64 today, and
ran into the issue with Script Tracks not working.  Unfortunately, setting the
compatibility mode to XP(SP2) didn't seem to help.  Anyone have any more
specifics on this issue?  I see Microsoft has a hotfix
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943253) for DirectMusic, but it appears to be
timer related (and I just got a response from them saying they don't have a
64-bit version of the hotfix anyway).  I also dug up the original DMP project
for the Unreal2 Intro, and it exhibits the same problems there (even with
compatibility mode set to XP) - the events in the Script Tracks are not getting
sent.  They work fine if I manually trigger them in the script editor, so it
seems to be more of a Script Track issue than vb script specific.

On licensing the UE3 sound engine: While I cannot speak for Epic, it seems like
it would be rather difficult to extract since their tools are unified
(everything depends on everything else).  It uses Kismit, which uses
UnrealScript, which is used for serialization, etc.  So you quickly pull in the
whole ball of wax.  That said, they've always seemed open to creative licensing
agreements, I just don't know what you'd do with just the audio portion (if you
could even define clearly what that is).

Aaron Leiby