[directmusic] audiopath config Send "effect" c++ interface?

  • From: "Andrew Clark" <andrewclarkis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 01:52:41 -0400

(DX8.1)

I am having tons of fun creating custom audiopaths with the DMP audiopath
designer.

HOWEVER

There doesn't seem to be a way to get an interface to the Send "effect" in
code (c++).  I can query interfaces for the DMO effects and change their
values in real-time at run-time (great fun!), but no interface seems to be
defined for Send.  I'd _love_ to be able to programatically alter Send
level.  Does anybody know if this is possible, and how? It seems like it can
only be authored and is not accessible at run-time.

Example application: a single mix-in distortion buffer is shared between n
sink-in buffers.  Each sink-in buffer dynamically controls its send to the
shared distortion buffer in response to game parameters.  (Dry is constant,
wet varies with the action.)

Possible (Send free) implementation: create a shared "reverb" or "chorus"
bus sink-in buffer with distortion and use cc to control its level.

Unacceptable limitations: 1) only the dry synth signal is available to the
sink-in buffer bus.  (Whereas the Send "effect" could be at the end of an
effect chain and send a wet signal to a mix-in buffer.) 2) "reverb" or
"chorus" bus sink-in buffers don't seem to work properly as shared buffers

MS guys? Is Send a DMO interface? If so, why isn't the interface exposed in
the SDK? (Please tell me this is available in DX9!)

Thanks,
Andrew