[directmusic] Re: Sequencer

  • From: "Andrew Clark" <andrewclarkis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:26:26 -0500

DirectMusic actually has a fair amount of "low level" control -- it's just
not the main emphasis of the app.  You can certainly have your app work with
individual MIDI messages, time-stamped or "immediate".  Wrt reacting to MIDI
events, there is a DirectMusicTool interface that "listens" for (specified)
MIDI events (streamed/timestamped) or otherwise) and executes your (custom)
code.

Check out the DirectX SDK docs wrt DirectMusicTools.

Cheers,
Andrew

>Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:20:28 -0500
>From: "Richard E. Grant" <mailing_lists@xxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [directmusic] Sequencer
[snip]
>So, maybe Directmusic is the answer? I haven't looked into it much yet but
>it looks like it has a bunch of high level stuff that's of little or no use
>to me. I need low level control, the ability to (potentially) send messages
>to the main app based on current time, as well as certain types of MIDI
>events. In other words I potentially need to do something custom on every
>MIDI event and/or every MIDI clock. Setting up a stream of MIDI events and
>handing them off to be played is not enough control for my purposes.
[snip]