[directmusic] Q's II

  • From: "Paul Stroud" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 14:23:13 -0000

Hi all again

Q1):********

Wave Streaming:

OK, so you can decide how much to buffer, but what if my wave a segment
doesn't start from the beginning?  Does DM buffer the wave when the segment
starts? Or does it look at all of the start positions when the script is
loaded?

If I had a 5sec wave with 3 segments playing that wave from 2 sec in, 3 secs
in, 4secs in and with a buffer of 500ms, will I have:

A) 1.5 secs of audio loaded into RAM when the segments are loaded

B) 2 secs into ram. As above, plus 500ms for the entire wave

C) Other...?

Q2):********

What's the best way to measure how hard the computer is working to play my
work using DMDemo?  I have Norton system monitor, will this do it for me?

Scott mentioned Dynamic loading, and I can see how this could become
nightmarish to implement without the odd bug.  How hard can I push DM
without resorting to this method? say, on a PII 300?

What are the big system resource eaters?

You see I may be using a lot of Waves and 500ms of each of those could add
up. I don't want to include a minimum requirement of 128meg of RAM or a HD
access speed of 6ms.

Much appreciate your help people

Paul