[directmusic] New to DirectMusic

  • From: Abhijit Patait <abhijit_patait@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 16:30:19 -0800 (PST)

Hello All

I am new to the world of DirectX and DirectMusic, although I have programmed
extensively in MFC and VC++.

I want to build an application that can sequence and play custom instrument
sounds (for which I have WAVE samples). Of course, the documentation on
DirectMusic makes me feel that it should be possible to achieve using
DirectMusic. But I am not exactly clear how! I would appreciate any help from
experts on this list. Specifically,

   I have created a DLS collection with the instrument sounds (WAVE files)
using DirectMusic producer, and assigned MSB = 110, LSB = 0, and patch = 11 to
my instrument (no specific reason to choose these numbers).
   Now I want to load this DLS (*.dls file) collection into DirectMusic. How do
I do this? Can the DLS file loaded similar to the way .mid or .wav file is
loaded?
   Once the DLS collection file is loaded, how do I play different notes on the
instrument? I read somewhere about a DMUS_NOTE_PMSG structure and sending
message to play a note. But this (I think) applies if I wish to play a single
note. If I have to play a sequence of notes, what is the best method?

Any help/sample code will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all

Abhijit