[directmusic] Looping wavs not by samples

  • From: "Paul Stroud" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 19:10:17 -0000

OK this is a little difficult to explain.  My problem is looping a wave in a
segment.

Imagine a wav file contained in a segment: A voice which says :

ooooooooA

2 bar segment: 1 bar in 1/4 (which acts as a preroll) and a 2nd in 4/4 which
loops.

In the "preroll" starting at the absolute beginning at I have "oooooooo" and
the "A" comes in on the down beat (i.e. bar 2, beat 1)

So that it loops "ooooooooA" and not just "A", I put "oooooooo" on beat 4 of
the looping bar

So now I have this:

1st bar : ooooooooo 2nd bar:(Loop start*) A     2     3     ooooooooo(loop
end*)

*N.B. Segment looping NOT wave looping

This should loop nicely, but I can only assume DMP is not sample accurate,
because this always results in an audible glitch, albeit a very small one.

Any work arounds?
Am I missing something?
Is re-triggering the only way?

Many thanks in advance