[directmusic] I just find DirectMusic! Is it better?

  • From: Hiero Djoko <hiero_music@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 01:23:40 +0800 (CST)

I just find DirectMusic... but my first impression of
DirectMusic is: the abstraction is too high for
musician (and programmer) that want a real time midi,
as I want to have full real time control about each
note/each parameter that will be playing in my music
software. Of course if you only program music for
game, or use music as background only, you can just
"play", or let DirectMusic to recompose it
dynamically.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Then... Do you have a wrapper class that will send a
raw midi message to direct music (similar to
midiOutShortMsg). If I am use DirectMusic to output
midi data, is it faster than midiOutShortMsg? I heard,
timing in DirectMusic was good. But, I think the
timing is good if I compose the music first, then
"play()" using DirectMusic. How if I want to compose
it real time (I think invalidate segment is not
recommended. On the other hand, I need to change the
pattern as soon as possible according to user input)?
Can DirectMusic be a better solution? Currently for
timing, I am using windows 2000 multimedia timer and
the result using midiOutShortMsg is quite OK. I just
want to consider DirectMusic if it can provide a
better solution for my software.

Some feature of my software is auto accomp. I know
that DirectMusic has Style object. But I dont know how
to use it real time. I only find that we should define
the chord first. Do I have full control to the note
played by style object? How can I access the note?

Great flight deals, travel info and prizes!
http://sg.travel.yahoo.com