[directmusic] Re: Allright, now I'm REALLY stumped

  • From: "Bjorn Lynne" <bjorn.lynne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 09:57:08 -0000

Scott - thanks for finding the solution to this. It looks like a bug to me.
It seems that if there is a "gap" in pchannels assigned in the audiopath;
then the sounds assigned to the "upper" audiopaths do not play IF they are
assigned as General MIDI instruments; or have ever been assigned as General
MIDI instruments.

When the problem first occurred, those instruments in my "upper" range of
pchannels (above the gap) that were custom samples did play, but the General
MIDI ones didn't. The General MIDI ones never started playing again even
when they were later changed to custom samples.

None of this behaviour occurred inside DMProducer - only in the outside
application. Inside DMProducer everything worked great all the time.

The only way to solve it was to "fill" the gap in the pchannels, by
assigning all pchannels 14-94 to a Mix Group in the audiopath. After
assigning all my unused pchannels to a mix group, everything started
working.

I can't believe I spent a WHOLE day on this problem. :-(. Especially since,
as you rightly say Scott, we touched on this very same problem about a year
ago.

James, I find it very peculiar that my Jingle2 started playing when you
added it's instrument to the band in the Level1 segment. This was one of the
first things I tried, and it definitely did not work for me. Jingles 1 and 3
did play, but only "partly" (1 of 2 instruments playing). I am using Win98SE
and DirectX 8.1.

Thanks again to everybody who helped.

- Bjorn

--
Bjorn Lynne - Composer, Producer, Sound Designer
Main music site: www.lynnemusic.com



Other related posts: