[DZR] Re: Having problems with any VST with Cakewalk Home Studio 2004

  • From: Joseph Garcia <jjgjr75@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: directixer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 07:53:08 -0800 (PST)

Any word on this? Just to update:

I was looking on Soundblaster's website and noticed one of their
recommendations was to disable ACPI and so I did that(found a way to do it
without reinstalling OS), but I am getting the same error. I have searched all
over Cakewalk's forums and haven't seen anyone else having this problem, but
then again most people use Sonar I believe. I have another error log if you
would like to look at that. It's at home, if you want it, I'll email it to you
tonight. It references some of the dll's related to Cakewalk, etc.

Another thing on this. Sometimes I am able to use the VST for a few minutes
before it actually craps out. The one that totally craps out from the get-go is
Turntablist Pro. The other VST's like Triangle I and the Computer Music synths
usually let me play with them for a few minutes before popping up with the
error. Also, I forgot to mention that this only happens when I am testing out
new sounds in a new project. I have a few projects that have Crystal in them
already and it plays fine without any glitches. It is when I am just adding the
synth to the track(new project) and I start playing it when the error happens.
Sometimes it happens right away, sometimes within 10 minutes but it always
happens with a VST.

Thanks,
Joe
Joseph Garcia <jjgjr75@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sorry,
Here is the screenshot:
Joe

Joseph Garcia wrote:
Hi,

Here is what I did/found:

I uninstalled/reinstalled DirectiXer. All was well. I went on to load up a VST
Synth and started Midi-ox in Home Studio. Everything worked fine for a few
minutes. I even got to delete the synth from the effects bin and try another
one. After I loaded another one though it crashed again. I said ok it must the
midi-ox program. So after it restarted I composed a midi loop and outputted it
to a VST Synth without using midi-ox and I got the same error/crash. I have
atached a screenshot of the error. The error on the bottom is what I see when I
click the "click here" part on the error on the top. As you can see I was just
using Turntablist Pro as a VST with a midi loop going out to it.

Any ideas?
Thanks again,
Joe
Joseph Garcia wrote:
Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply:

I'll try to answer each question in order:

First of all, my crash completely shuts down my system. Sometimes I get the
error that I posted earlier and sometimes it just shuts down without any
warning. I don't get a blue screen or anything, just that message. I don't know
if this is called a system crash or application but that's what happens.

1. I am using Directixer version 2.5. I just purchased it about a month ago. I
used it for awhile as a demo version, but before I installed the full version,
I uninstalled the demo. I have not tried to re-install since this has been
happening though and will try that first.

2. I see a user interface for the plug-ins and they function completely
normally until the crash happens. Sometimes after I close the plug-in window it
happens and sometimes after I actually delete it out of the effects bin it
happens. I always open my effects from the effects bin.

3. The crashes are very reproducible. It doesn't happen 100% of the time but I
would say 90% of the time. Your "midi activity" question gave me an idea though
becuase I use Midi-ox to be able to use my computer keyboard as a midi
controller. I will try and output midi to a synth without using the midi-ox
program and see if there is a differnce there.

4. The crash happens in a fresh project or one that I had already been working
on.

I will try a couple of your suggestions and let you know. You gave me some good
ideas I hadn't thought of.

Thanks again for the quick reply,
Joe Garcia

Kirill 'Big K' Katsnelson wrote:
Joseph,

> I am having a problem where I am getting system crashes either
> while running a VST within my sequencer or after I close it and/or
> delete the VST from the effects bin.

First of all, do not reformat yet. Windows 2000 and XP are very
resilient, and it is almost always possible to find the cause of
failures and fix it. It may require time, but complete reinstallation
usually is a very time-consuming process.

You do not have system crashes - they are registered as "blue screens",
and your only option is to reboot after one; you have an application
crash - the Home Studio process crashes.

1. What wrapper are you using to run VST plugins - DirectiXer or
Cakewalk's own? If you have another one, does it crash too?

Try reinstalling the wrapper that you sre using. For DirectiXer, run
its setup and choose "Repair" - this copies all files over and repeats
all its registration with the OS. For Cakewalk wrapper, I do not know,
but I think that you can uninstall and reinstall it without Home Studio.

2. Do you see user interface windows for the plugins? Did you observe a
systematic crash when you double-clicked on a plugin, as if to open its
user interface, in an Fx bin or the synth rack?

> [HS] crashes either while running a VST [plugin] within my sequencer
> or after I close it and/or delete the VST [plugin] from the effects
> bin.

3. Can you assess how reproducible are these crashes? In other words, does
it crash every time you close it? Delete a plugin? What causes a
crash in other cases, that you refer to as "while running"? If you
cannot find a visible cause for a crash, how often does it happen? Is
the time before crash somehow affected by the time spent in playback
versus clock time? Is there a relation to MIDI activity?

4. Can you reproduce the crash in a new project created in freshly
started HS?

I am asking perhaps too many quesitons for the start, but I do not have
any accounts of similar crashes, so we'll be likely doing a "full
work-up" in your case. I am just trying to guess the right direction in
search for a cause of the problem.

-kkm

Yahoo! Search - Find what you?re looking for faster.

-- Type: application/msword
-- File: vst error no midi-ox.doc
-- Desc: vst error no midi-ox.doc