[DZR] Re: Having problems with any VST with Cakewalk Home Studio 2004

  • From: Joseph Garcia <jjgjr75@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: directixer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:08:05 -0800 (PST)

I think Steelpanmusic was onto something about the error happening w/ certain
vst's that hog memory. I have gotten it to run fine w/ certain vst's, i.e. RGC
Audio Triangle I and SFZ, Digitalfishphones vst's, and others. The ones that
crash it every time seem to Computer Music vst's and that Turntablist Pro
plug-in. Sometimes other vst's crash Home Studio but it is more rare than with
the Computer Music programs. It sucks because I don't have a sampler and really
like the DS-404 that comes on the Computer Music cd's.

Joe
Kirill 'Big K' Katsnelson <kkm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Joseph,

I have been reading the discussion, although I could not come to any
conclusion or even a hypothesis yet. I can see fewer and fewer
differences between Steelpan's machine and yours, still, yours one is
broken and his one is working. It well may be that the culprit is not
small and almost invisible; it is rather huge and so ordinary that you
do not pay attention to it :) There are many applications that place
parts of theirselves into other applications (DirectiXer is among them,
by way of being a MIDI driver for the "loopback" port). Let's see if you
have any of:
- firewall, bandwidth managers, network sniffers;
- MIDI device other than SB (do not you use "virtual piano?");
- screen reader;
- programs that "grab" words under cursor from other programs, such as
Gurunet, multiple clipboard managers (one of these comes wih Office
2003!), etc;
- programs that analyze what you type or do with the mouse, such as
intelligent keyboard layouts or macro recorder/playback;

You perhaps see the common trait among these: a program that knows what
happens inside another program. If you can think of any, then uninstall
them and see if this helps.

Alternatively, or if you uninstalled the suspects but it did not help,
please let me look at what is loaded inside HS. Download the executable
file listdlls.exe (the x86 variety!) from
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/listdlls.shtml This file is
not an installation, but rather a program consisting of a single
executable, so do not run it, and rather save it to a new folder (let's
make the folder "LDDL" on the drive C: for that purpose).

Then, open the command prompt (Start, All programs, Accessories, Command
prompt), and type the following command

CD /D C:\LDDL

Do not close the window, run HS, then do whatever leads to the crash.
As I understand, crashes are not immediate, so that you have a short
time before it crashes, right? So, at this point, do not close HS, and
switch to the command prompt window, and type the following command:

LISTDLLS >list.txt

This will dump the list of all DLLs loaded at the moment. Please send
this list to me. Note that a little bit of personal information may be
inferred from it, such as the list of programs that you are running,
kind of firewall that you are using, plugins that were loaded at the
time you took the snapshot, so better do not post it to the list and use
my e-mail address kkm@xxxxxxxxx instead). I can look at it and see if
any DLL loaded by home studio is unusual or suspicious.

-kkm