[DialogJIG] Re: new Year("Happy");

  • From: Mark_Bick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: dialogjig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 14:17:16 +1000

Fellow Javateers,

Seeing as I have (cue: choir of angels) "The Book" (end cue) I can let you
know that the next topic is .... "Converting and Casting Primitives and
Objects".

At the last meeting nobody was chosen or volunteered for the next topic so
it is up for grabs. As I held the last discussion (subject: Inner *%$#@
Classes), I can tell you that it is not hard to do and if I can do it ...
anyone can! (You do recover. My therapist says I am making good progress
and can stop playing with the square blocks now and move onto the round
ones.)

Remember the story about about four people named Everybody, Somebody,
Anybody, and Nobody... There was an important job to be done and Everybody
was sure that Somebody would do it. Anybody could have done it, but Nobody
did it. Somebody got angry about this, because it was Everybody's job.
Everybody thought Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody
wouldn't do it. It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did
what Anybody could have done.

Just have a go. You'll enjoy it.

As to Sven's comment on the goals I couldn't agree more. These meetings are
a great way to do this together. Let's not let them fall away.

As to the little robot guys to help with learning more Java, after sex,
gratuitous violence is the next best thing and having played with the
little suckers it does make it a lot more interesting and fun. Download the
robot code from the Dialog JIG Knowledgebase and start trying it out.

regards,
Mark Bick

Senior Consultant
Collaborative Solutions
Dialog Information Technology
Business: 61 7 3247 1000
Mobile: 0402 251 979
Facsimile: 61 7 3247 1195
Email: mark_bick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Website: www.dialog.com.au
Address: Dialog House, 8 Gardner Close, Milton, QLD 4064

                    Sven_Abrahamsson@dia

                    log.com.au                 To:     dialogjig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                    Sent by:                   cc:

                    dialogjig-bounce@fre       Subject:     [DialogJIG] new
Year("Happy");
                    elists.org

                    08/01/2002 01:26 PM

                    Please respond to

                    dialogjig

Well, it's a new year of fun and excitement, and time to get back into the
Java!  So, a few thoughts:

(1) Who is in the office, and who is not?  More specifically, who is able
to attend the Java discussions, and who would like to, but can't?  We're
still planning for Thursday lunchtime meetings, every second week.

(2) The next topic needs a speaker!  We may have already lined one up at
the last meeting, but if we did, I've forgotten who it was.  Would Rob (or
someone else with The Book) please let us know what the next topic is
titled?  If we don't have a volunteer speaker, someone will be chosen at
random (heh heh).

(3) We started this group with the following goals:  (i) to learn about
Java, and (ii) to become certified in it.  Now, it's become clear that most
of us only think about the whole Java thing for about an hour and a half
each fortnight, which is a bit sad, really.  So, maybe we need new
approaches to this stuff.  One suggestion is that we look into that java
robot war thing that was around a little while back.  The idea there is
that people code up their own little robots, then pit them against one
another in a server environment.  Programming and gratuitous violence -
what more could you want?

Anyway, let's get the ball rolling again!

- - -
Sven Abrahamsson
Senior Consultant
Collaborative Solutions Team