[DialogJIG] Robocode

  • From: Sven_Abrahamsson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: dialogjig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Christine_Edwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 14:11:22 +1000

Soon we will be coding our own robots, and pitting them against one
another.  There will be violence, there will be destruction.  And in the
end, only one robot will remain, amidst the twisted methods and charred
classes of its fallen foes.

The Robocode files are available in the Dialog JIG discussion database, on
the development server under Lotus Code\Software, or for those outside the
office, from the IBM web site, robocode.alphaworks.ibm.com.  That site also
contains all the documentation you could want about building your own
robots, installing the software, etc, and so on.

So, the agenda for the next meeting will be:

(1)  Discussion of any troubles installing Robocode.  Anyone who hasn't got
it up and running by next week will be able to get a bit of assistance.

(2)  Robot building discussion.  We will talk about how one actually builds
their own robot, and the Java concepts around that side of things.  It
would be a good idea to have a go at building a robot or two before the
meeting, though.

(3)  Demo battle.  We'll grab a few sample robots (or, if people have been
keen enough, home-made ones), and take a look at a live action demo...

(4)  Based on the demo, we can talk about what sorts of strategies would be
useful in a robot, and then work out how that translates to the Robocode
environment, and how one would code the thing in Java.

As always, comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Dialog JIG! Mailing List:

'subscribe' or 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field.

FAQ: email dialogjig-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'faq' in the subject field