[dh-photo] old skool stuff

  • From: Joachim Seibert <joachim.seibert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dh-photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2015 00:43:26 +0100

Hi guys,

the last class (well, 2 1/2 classes actually) might have been a bit much.
Sorry for that!

Despite me using electronic cameras too, I am one of those film guys (i.e.
fossils).
Thinking all manual (focus, exposure etc.), I seemed to have overlooked the
problems introduced by automation. To me, a pol-filter just suddenly was
not available any longer... the same thing now was sold as a CPL (circular
polarizer). Since the thing was still analyzing linear polarization, this
did not make any sense to me (me thinking in film!).

Today, I learned something! It seems it is mandatory to convert the linear
polarization (which was fine for the century of film) into circular
polarization as to not confuse the sensors of the automated focus and
exposure determinations. Here is what Wikipedia has to say about this:

"For modern cameras, a circular polarizer is typically used; this comprises
firstly a linear polarizer which performs the artistic function just
described, followed by a quarter-wave plate which further filters the
now-linearly polarized light into circularly-polarised light before
entering the camera. This additional step avoids problems with auto-focus
and light-metering sensors within some cameras, which otherwise may not
function reliably with a simple linear polariser."

It seems, with technology moving on, problems are introduced which were
unknown in the past.

I learned even more: I definitely arrived in the stage of being a
technological fossil. Anyway, being what I am, a fossil, the fact that
automation in modern cameras keep having problems merely confirms my doubts
about automation all together.

Kind regards,
Joachim