[dh-photo] HDR practical tips

  • From: Joachim Seibert <joachim.seibert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dh-photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 20:45:43 +0200

Dear friends,
I knew of many of the participant today, that they were in a hurry, hence, I was running through the slides in an unusual high pace; I believe I was reaching about 1 Rubbia (big thumbs up is that is understood ... let me know!).
Anyway, since it was rather a lot in a rather short time, below is the text of the practical part of the HDR presentation.
For those who did not stay to the end, we decided that the next Meet 'n Shoot (4th Tuesday of the Months) will be about HDR. So, please bring a camera and your notebook computer with LuminanceHDR (or any other kind of HDR software installed).
Kind regards,
Joachim

--- 8< --- 8< --- 8< --- 8< --- 8< --- 8< --- 8< --- 8< ---

SHOOTING

Cover the dynamic range needed

Minimum amount of frames
Steady position (tripod!)
As quickly as possible
Aperture priority (constant aperture)
Lowest ISO possible (noise)
RAW (avoid compression artifacts)
Fixed white balance
EV – bracketing
NO re-focusing in burst mode
Image stabilization off!
Evaluative metering!

Most common technique w/ tripod & DSLR

3 frames
Cable shutter release / self-timer
3 fps
Aperture f/8 (sweet spot)
ISO 100 or 200
RAW
Daylight W.B.

Most common technique w/o tripod & P/S

3 frames
Braced position
11 fps
Aperture f/5.6 (sweet spot)
ISO 100
RAW
Daylight W.B.

HDR PROCESSING

Noise reduction first (LightRoom or RawTherapee)
Create a flat (low contrast) image in HDR S.W.
Take care to not blow out highlights
Take care to not drown shadows
Save image as TIFF

POST PROCESSING

Pull down highlights
Push up shadows
Increase whites close to clipping
Decrease blacks to your likings
Curves
Watch histogram for clipping

Increase clarity (local/micro contrast)
Increase vibrance
Decrease saturation!
Re-apply noise reduction (carefully!)
Apply unsharp-mask (carefully!)

TOOLS

HDR
Luminance HDR (Win/OS-X/Linux)
Photomatix (Win/OS-X)
Lightroom → Photoshop → Lightroom (Win/OS-X)

Post-Pro
The GIMP (Win/OS-X/Linux)
Lightroom / Photoshop (Win/OS-X)