[desert-voice] to Mr. Reynolds:

  • From: "John Granet" <compoze@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <desert-voice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 11:40:18 -0800

Dear Dan:   Thank you for your inspirational e-mail.  Let me issue an
apology for the remarks at the meeting I delivered.  I was probably
misunderstood.  I don't mean that the man who teaches blind people m using
the new technology is unqualified or any less of a musician as anyone else.
I'm a sort of Luddite in that I don't use much of the new technology in my
work as a classical composer.  I use a sighted copyist to whom I dictate the
music I've written in Braille using my st  trusty Perkins.  The use and the
mastery of technology does not necessarily give one talent in performance or
composition.  I know my limitations as a pianist; I can't play a lot of the
Liszat and other very difficult technically repertoire and I know it.  All a
blind person needs as far as equiptment is a braille writer and not even an
instrument in front of lhim or her to produce music,  and of course,  God
given talent,  which Is all too rare, whether one is blind or sighted.  Hope
I haven't gone on too long and I was very glad to o have met you as you're
obviously a very spiritual committed human being,  something which,  in our
cynical world, is all to rare.  May God bless you.  YoYour Friend:   Dr.
John Nicholas Granet Palm Springs, cCalifornia.   P.S.  Although I've taught
part time at three different colleges,  I never did obtain a tenure track
position anywhere.  I'm now working part time at the new online university
in Palm Springs, thae World Education University.