[desert-voice] FW: Help Us Fight Threats to Rare Disease Research

  • From: "Pamela Edmondson" <pamelaedmondson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <desert-voice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 11:41:42 -0800

From: Foundation Fighting Blindness [mailto:membership@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2013 8:00 AM
To: pamelaedmondson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Help Us Fight Threats to Rare Disease Research

click here to view this message online
<http://www.fightblindness.org/site/R?i=p162XmdNQz8rZZV_4XpAjw>

 <http://www.fightblindness.org/site/R?i=SDmqUlccR4qsCYYxhSGHQA> Tell
congress: Protect Vision Research

Dear Pamela,

Protecting Vision
Research is Crucial

Take Action Today

 <http://www.fightblindness.org/site/R?i=D1aILF9v1BEp9P7z8hOI0Q> Email
Congress &gt;

As member of our community, you know how hard the Foundation Fighting
Blindness works to move potential treatments and cures for vision-robbing
diseases from the lab into clinical trials-the last step before they become
available, with FDA approval, on the market. You also know this is a team
effort, involving not only the Foundation and researchers, but biotech
companies and government agencies as well.

With that in mind, we truly need your help. This coming Friday, March 1st,
automatic federal budget cuts for government agencies will take effect if
our Congress has not resolved its current budget impasse. This would
negatively impact research programs at the National Institutes of Health
(NIH), including the National Eye Institute (NEI), not to mention the FDA's
review process.

If you haven't heard, by the way, the FDA granted market approval for the
Argus II, or "bionic retina"-a device that has restored partial vision in
people with retinitis pigmentosa-just over a week ago. That approval process
may have taken much longer if these cuts were in place.

In other words, the proposed cuts pose a serious threat to much of the
research the Foundation helps facilitate. We need to do all we can to not
let that happen.

Pamela, what are we asking you to do? Well, it just so happens that
Thursday, February 28th, is Rare Disease Day, a recognition of the roughly
7,000 rare diseases affecting more than 30 million people in the United
States, including those with Retinitis Pigmentosa.

In honor of Rare Disease Day, please take just two minutes to submit a
letter through the Foundation
<http://www.fightblindness.org/site/R?i=jnOlYIB3hcBJGK3BB_c1DA> 's website
to the President and your elected officials in Congress. With one simple
click <http://www.fightblindness.org/site/R?i=j6SwssoHCiUjS7kaACVETQ> , you
can submit a letter we've provided - or, better yet, personalize it with
your own story.

Still not convinced? Because Retinitis Pigmentosa, a rare disease, affects
your family, these automatic cuts could have a devastating effect by
significantly slowing or halting research for treatments and cures. That
includes a clinical trial, currently underway at the University of
Pennsylvania, which has restored some vision for children with a retinal
disease. At the NEI alone, these cuts would obliterate roughly 90 new
research grants, any of which could hold the promise for saving or restoring
your family member's vision.

As someone deeply committed to advancing sight-saving treatments and cures,
please join the Foundation in telling Congress and the President that
protecting vision research, at a time when there is so much momentum, is
crucial. You can do so by taking this simple action
<http://www.fightblindness.org/site/R?i=biu4Wu1rGGAvWfeDLL8-jA>  - because
when we work together, we have the power to improve lives.

Thank you, in advance, for adding your voice.

With gratitude,

 <http://www.fightblindness.org/site/R?i=hQRR2KqOpISNPf_8BwFnwA> Foundation
Fighting Blindness

Foundation Fighting Blindness