[Deque Undoc for PDF Beta] Re: Tip of the Day: Lions and Tigers and Type 3 Fonts, oh my!

  • From: "Bill Diamond" <bill.diamond@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <deque-ubeta@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 11:16:21 -0400

The new OpenType specification merges some features from both TrueType and
Postscript.  On the outside, it looks and acts like a TrueType font, but the
outline specifications are postscript type 2 definitions.  You can consider
this a superset of both TrueType and Type 1 fonts. While you don't have to
have Adobe Type Manager to manage your fonts anymore, I honestly don't
recommend doing this.  Fonts take up a huge amount of memory.  Personally, I
don't have a good enough memory to recall which font sets I use for which
projects.  That's where ATM makes a big difference for me.  That's just a
personal thing.

The newer OpenType fonts supporting hinting, ligatures, full Unicode
support, glyp positioning and substitution, and some advanced features that
have been exposed in InDesign and Photoshop.  Just to make your life more
exciting, Adobe and Microsoft decided to switch encoding schemes from either
Type 1 or Type 3 to Type 2.  Perhaps the biggest difference is that Type 1
fonts supported up to 256 characters.  OpenType faces support up to 65,000
characters. Yes, this does mean that the OT faces can have swash letters in
the set itself.  On the face of it, the visual enhancements to OpenType
should encourage anyone still using Type 3 to migrate to OT foundry faces.

But, thanks for not asking about SVG fonts yet.  I'm not quite ready for
that myself.

I started migrating from Type 1 to OpenType fonts about a year ago.  Like
most of you, I have a pretty large library of Type 1 fonts.  The hardest
task wasn't supporting the new OT faces.  It was going through my system and
making sure that whenever I had a Type 1, OT or TT font face that I removed
any other versions of the same face.   That's reduced a lot of my headaches
and made my printer a lot happier to not see pesky TT font faces sneaking in
the back door when I send over a packaged job.

If you're really up against a wall and pretty handy, you might look at some
of the open source efforts.  One product that's out there is called
FontForge, which comes out of a Russian font foundry.  The tool does its
best to convert TrueType, Type 1, some Type 3 to OpenType and SVG Font
format.  Personally, I'd probably stick with Fontographer.

Regards,
Bill