[DECtalk], Re: who?

  • From: "Jayson Smith" <ratguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dectalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 07:18:46 -0400

Hi,
Thanks for all the good comments on Playdec.  I'm not exactly sure what you
mean by the executable having a description inside it.  You mean a more
descriptive filename?  I like to keep things pretty simple, for my own sake!
As for how long it took to write it, the idea had formed in my head a few
days ago, and that's about when I wrote about maybe someday writing the
program.  Then, the other night, I had nothing better to do so I started
work on it.  I had purchased a registered copy of IBasic back late last year
so had a programming language to work with.  I could have probably done it a
bit easier in something like old DOS Qbasic or Asic, another Basic-like
language for DOS, but figured that since many people would be using XP and
suchlike, it would be better to write a true Windows application.  So I
worked on it for several hours and finally got it working by itself.  Made
the file association for .dec files in Windows and boom, it wouldn't work
with that.  After lots of frustration, cussing, and putting in all kinds of
debugging messages to let me know when certain points of the program were
reached, I finally figured out what the problem was, but didn't know how to
fix it.  I therefore had to resort to sending the developer of IBasic an
Email asking how to fix the problem and he responded late Monday night.
Once I figured out how to fix the problem, everything worked like a charm.
The documentation was written and the program uploaded to my web server
early Tuesday morning.
Jayson.