[DECtalk], Re: firmware version

  • From: "Jayson Smith" <ratguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dectalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 23:09:06 -0400

That might be a bit tough.  You can't just type the command into something
like notepad then have Jaws read it back, as the command won't be recognized
by the synth.  So here are a few suggestions.
If you have access to a Dos box within Windows, or a Dos machine, plug the
Dectalk into the serial port and type the following
echo [:version speak] > com1
replace com1 with the name of the serial port.  Also, you should not have a
screen reader running with the Dectalk being tested as that won't work!
Also, if you have speech other than the Dectalk being tested, set up a
Windows or, for that matter, Dos screen reader to use that speech.  E.G.
Eloquence in Jaws.  Then run something like Hyper Terminal, point it to the
serial port where the Dectalk is, make sure the parameters are set for 9600
baud, 8 data bits, no parity and 1 stop bit.  Then send the [:version speak]
command and hit Enter.  Dectalk should speak the version.
Or like I said earlier, use the same thing E.G. Hyper Terminal, then power
on the Dectalk with it plugged in and the terminal listening to the proper
port.  The Dectalk Express sends a message over the serial port even before
you hear the startup beep, and part of this message is the version number
and date of the firmware.
Hope this helps!
Jayson.