[DECtalk], Re: firmware version

  • From: "Jayson Smith" <ratguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dectalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 23:52:11 -0400

As far as I know, all the software for the cards are loaded when your
computer boots up.  So the version of the Dectalk software your card is
running is that version installed on your computer.  This should be spoken
when the synth is loaded in autoexec.bat or wherever.  E.G. "Dectalk PC
version 4.2b is running" or something.
Also, unless you have a specific need for it, I would not recommend
upgrading to the 4.6 versions from Force.  They don't sound as good as the
older Digital versions.  I think version 5 from Phonix is supposed to sound
much more like the Digital versions.  On the other hand, if you have an
express with 4.6 firmware, it can safely be downgraded to an older Digital
version.