[DECtalk], Re: downgrading my dectalk express

  • From: "Jayson Smith" <ratguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dectalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:18:46 -0500

Hi,
Ok you've downloaded the file.  Now you need to extract it by
running it.  Wherever it put the files, you will now have several
files, but not the ones you need.  To get the ones you need you
must copy these files to a floppy then run the install program from
the floppy.  This is a Dos program.  Make backup copies of your
dtexp directory if you have one, and also your autoexec.bat.
Follow the program's instructions.  If this is a problem for you
please contact me and I can supply you with the installed copy.
Ok now, either way, you should have a directory with the files you
need.  One of them is called load.bat, but before I tell you how to
use it let me give you some other instructions and warnings.
1.  If your Dectalk Express is on battery, plug it in!  This is
just for safety.  If the battery should happen to go "poof" during
the flash right, you'd be screwed.
2.  Any screen reader you are using must be configured to use
something other than the Dectalk being downgraded as its
synthesizer!  The update program must have exclusive access to the
Dectalk unit!  So if you're using JFW to read in Dos boxes, for
example, and you normally use it with your Dectalk, set it to
Eloquence or something!  This is very important!
3.  Dectalk drivers must not be loaded!  Once again, the update
program requires exclusive access to the unit!  This is because, if
anything else attempts to talk with the unit during the update
process it could mess the whole thing up and you could be left with
a nonfunctional Dectalk!
4.  Once you've started the process, don't do anything until it
completes!  Most of all, and very obviously, don't unplug the
Dectalk or turn it off during the update process!
Ok with those warnings out of the way, here's what you do.
1.  Insure your screen reader is not using the Dectalk in question.
This is crucial!
2.  Turn off the Dectalk and turn it back on, just to make sure
everything's reset and ready for the update.  Reflect upon the fact
that, if all goes well, you will have heard that exact power
message spoken for the last time.
3.  Open up a DOS box.  This is probably the easiest way to do
this.
4.  Change to the directory where you have the required files.
5.  Type the word load, a space, then the number of the com port
where the Dectalk is connected.  For example, if it was on com1,
the command would be
load 1
6.  Wait.  On most modern machines the update should take a few
minutes.  On older machines it could take twenty minutes or so!
When it is done you will hear some beeps or dings, depending on how
your system is set up.  You may also hear your screen reader
speaking some status messages as the update is performed.
7.  Once the update is complete (and no earlier!), turn off the
Dectalk and turn it on again.  If it sounds better now, you've
completed the update!  If it sounds the same, the update didn't
complete!  If nothing happens, then something terrible happened
during the Flash right or something.  In that case, without some
kind of repair, as Patrick Perdue would say...
You are a loser, ha ha ha ha ha!
You're screwed!
You're busted!