[DECtalk], Re: dectalk in mp3 format

  • From: "Jayson Smith" <ratguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dectalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 19:13:04 -0400

Hello,
This answer will be brief, as I don't know how knowledgable you are in the
field of audio editing, what software you have available to you, etc.  If
you'd like a more detailed letter please let me know, and also tell me what
you have at your disposal.  Also, anybody else who has other tips, or a
better way to do it, please feel free to chime in!  This is an often
overlooked part of creating a Dectalk performance, and it wouldn't hurt to
get a discussion going and get a few good tips!
Ok, I'm assuming you're using the speak43 application, telling it to convert
to .wav files.  As far as I know, the highest quality you can get from
speak43 itself is 11025 sampling rate, 16 bit.  You want that.  I also
assume you're trying to do something like make Dectalk sing in harmony, a
round, etc.  If so, then you'll have to have one file for each part of the
song and convert them to separate wav files, or that would be the easiest
route anyway.  After that, you'll want to mix them of course to create what
will probably be close to the finished product.  On some sound cards, lower
sample rates produce a slight hissing sound, and on some those sample rates
even cause aliasing.  Aliasing is the introduction of unwanted high
frequencies into the audio, which weren't in the original product.  This is
caused by quick and dirty sample rate conversions among other things.
Goldwave, for example, has a sample rate convertor but if you use it to
upsample, that is, convert to a higher sample rate, you get aliasing.  Cool
Edit Pro at least, has a convertor which takes care of the aliasing problem
and you end up with a product which sounds almost, if not exactly, like the
original.  Because of various low sample rate issues, I always upsample my
stuff using Cool Edit Pro, usually to 44100, which is the standard sample
rate for CD quality material.  Always keep it sixteen bit!  It really
doesn't matter about mono Vs. stereo, but just remember to keep it 16 bit!
The reason is that once you convert to 8 bit, the extra precision of 16 bit
audio is lost and you can't get it back again, not even by converting it to
16 bit audio again.  So here's what I do.
First I get all the wav files of all the parts to the song.  I then upsample
them using Cool Edit Pro.  Then I start a new project in Cakewalk Pro Audio
9.  I then put each of the newly upsampled wav files on its own track.  Any
time you mix audio together, you're bound to end up with some clipping or
distortion if you keep the volumes the same.  Because of that, I lower the
volume on all the tracks until there is no clipping.  Then I mix that down
to a new .wav file, then run that through a Normalize command, which raises
the total overall volume to the maximum possible without clipping.
Hope this helps!