[DECtalk], Re: dectalk 5.0

  • From: Dectalk@xxxxxxx
  • To: dectalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 00:23:31 EST

This is Snoopi with both Gallaudet University and Fonix, but I'm writing
this on my own.  I am helping to create a newer and better version of
Dectaklk.
It has been a long road and we actually did take a step  backwards.  But I
have recently heard the latest beta version which I will  be working with and
assisting with new speaking rules to give it a human  quality.  Our beta is in
monotune for now so we can slowly build the  inflectuations in each voice.
I'm happy and relieved to announce that the voice quality is being  restored.
 It's actually back to being intelabgible once again.  So as  things keep
moving ahead, Dectalk should be the new and improved version that we  all have
been waiting for.  Just don't ask for a release date because it  could be um, a
while.

But if i can make a selfish plug here.  I'm on the home stretch of
converting all my songs over to the new Dectalk format.  I have the Gospel  and
Contry
categories all complete.  I'm now almost through with the Rock  catagory.
Next I have about 45 kid's songs to convert and I think 70  Christmas songs.
My
last count of converted songs was 720, so I think I'm  going to end up with
over 1000 song files for Dectalk.  After this stupid  conversion I'll be adding
at least 15 songs a month to the list.  I've been  doing this since 1987 but
this conversion has really slowed me down.

Until the CD of sound files is released, I'll be happy to send out sample
files via E-mail.  my songs use special voice comands and I think  I'm  going
request that you wait for the CD to get those commands.  My  commands have 15
addictional voices, but the new version doesn't like the older  pramaters
that I was using.  I have an updated command list but I have made  more changes
and I think I have errors in my last saved list that I could  E-mail.

So if any of you do request samples, keep in mind that the voices that it
uses will be missing.  In other words, Cher won't sound like Cher, Boy  George
won't sound like Boy George and so on.  I try my best to impersonate  actual
singers.  I don't do it 100 percent because I have no interest in  doing that.
But I actually come close to the actual voice of mant  singers.  Most of them
are by accident, but yet it's cool that I  accidentally impersonated many
singers.

So for all you Dectalk geaks, you can now get song files from me.

SNOOPI

In a message dated 11/22/2004 10:00:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
lehne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Well, I  don't think so, but you should probably play around with the demo a
bit  before doing  that.  DECtalk 5 is something of a rebuild, and in my
opinion does not sound nearly as good as the DECtalk most of us are  familiar
with.  I could probably send it to you if you like.