[DECtalk], Re: copyright

  • From: Tony Baechler <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dectalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 06:45:01 -0800

Hi.  Most probably yes.  The US copyright law is very clear on
this.  First, if you just consider the scripts, they are illegal because
they are written post-1922.  If you consider that the scripts are being
done as a public performance, this falls into other copyright laws but
would still apply.  Public performance would apply in this case because a
synthesizer is reading the scripts and playing all the parts.  The files
are being made available for public download.  It is really no different
than mp3 music.  Note that these laws apply in many European countries as
well, but they are more relaxed on sound recordings and such.  I know very
little of European and Canadian copyright law but my understanding is that
since they are primarily for the blind and are not being sold, it's
probably legal.  You would need to check more fully into local copyright
laws to verify this.  In one European country, Holland I think, DVDs may be
copied and given away as long as they are not sold.  Again, further
checking would need to be done to verify this.  As far as I know, Andre is
in Europe so would fall under those laws, not the US laws.