[DECtalk], Re: Wonder why Dectalk sings?

  • From: "Jayson Smith" <ratguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dectalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 06:57:10 -0400

Hi,
No idea why you were able to use inline commands from within Jaws that one
time.  Jaws uses inline commands and is able to do so because it is
communicating directly with the synthesizer.  You, however, are
communicating indirectly, with Jaws as a middle man.  Jaws aparently does
some sort of text processing on its input before sending it on to the
synthesizer.  Even with my Jaws 4.02 settings set to punctuation controlled
by synthesizer, all punctuation, when I typed in an inline command then read
it back, it just spoke the command, including all punctuations.  It did not
in any way act on that command.
The whole point of this discussion is that Dectalk Access 32 probably can
sing if you could find a way to communicate directly with it and not through
Jaws.  I don't know how you'd do that though.