[DECtalk], Re: Wonder why Dectalk sings?

  • From: "Jayson Smith" <ratguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dectalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 21:36:18 -0400

That's probably right, somebody probably just put the singing in there as a
fun toy to play with, figuring nobody would ever do much with it, and maybe
it would even get removed when some new, more important feature needed to be
added (let's hope that never happens!).
Now, on to the comments that any synth can sing.  Actually, if I understand
everything correctly, the synthesizers that use actual bits of recorded
human speech can't sing, or if they can it's very contrived.  I'm talking
about synths like AT&T Natural Voices.  I don't think you can change the
pitch on that one.  Also, it is true that any synth which has a fine enough
pitch control can, by definition, sing.  However, the Dectalk singing is
actually designed to be used for singing, it has vibrato and all that.
Whereas, the Blazie notetakers were never designed to sing, and look what
Jeff Rutkowski pulled off.  However, since it wasn't designed to sing, it
isn't as good as it would have been if singing had been in the design.  You
get delays between each syllable, while the synth processes the pitch change
commands.