[DECtalk], Re: Important Notice

  • From: "Jayson Smith" <ratguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dectalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 21:41:23 -0500

Hi,
As far as mirroring the site, does your provider give you a shell account,
or just webspace?  If you get a shell account, you might be able to use some
of the common tools for mirroring.  One tool is called wget, but for my
mirroring of the Dectalk archive, I use a Perl program called w3mir.  It
works quite nicely.  If you only get webspace, mirroring the archive will be
a bit of a pain.  First you'll have to download it to your personal hard
drive, then you'll have to upload it to your provider for web hosting.  If
you run the official archive, you'd need to provide some facility for people
to upload.  Be careful with setting up an upload directory and giving out
your provider username and password to people for uploading, as you have no
control over what they might do, or who that info might be given to.  Also,
doing such things may be against the rules of your provider.  Those were
just a few thoughts.