[DECtalk], Re: If Dectalk were made open source, I'd...

  • From: "Jayson Smith" <ratguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dectalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 00:10:24 -0400

Oh I forgot one biggy.  Have you ever noticed that the D sound, as in the
word "dog", that you get when you have Dectalk say a word doesn't sound the
same as what you get when Dectalk sings or speaks using phonemes?  Imho, the
d you get in regular speech sounds more natural.  I had a look in the manual
some time ago and guess what?  Aparently the Dectalk uses some other
phonemes when constructing that nice, natural d sound, and the ever wise
programmers of the Dectalk system chose not to make those phonemes available
directly to the user.  Dah!  So I'd go in and fix that up!