[DECtalk], Re: DECTALK 101

  • From: Dectalk@xxxxxxx
  • To: dectalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:24:44 EDT

I'm copying Corine who is my co-worker at Fonix.  We all know the software
versions basically suck.  They have me on it and I gave them samples of both
hardware and software versions so they could hear the drastic drop in quality.
What happened was they had a turn over in staff who haven't worked with the
hardware version.  So they at first couldn't understand what I was talking
about.
 But I think they tracked down the bug for the next release.  I haven't heard
the latest fix, so I don't know if they found the problem.  I love the
hardware version myself.
Anyway, Fonix is looking for some blind listeners for fast speech rate
listening.  Personally I wish they would fix the regular rate before worrying
about
the faster rates for the blind, but I can't control what they do.  But if
anyone on this list is blind and would like to test, let me know and I'll pass
it
along.

Also, I have a Dectalk game I'd like to popose to this list.  I have 900 song
files that need converting so they all work on the software version.
Basicalyy the "Y" needs to now be "YX" with the acception of "YU".  And I have
a few
"<<" and ">>" instead of "<" and ">".  I have a friend trying to fix my files,
but he has very little time.  So I'm thinking that if a few of you are
interested, we could divide up the work and turn it into a race or something.
We
would have to think of a prize or something, but if you all love Dectalk, this
could be fun!

SNOOPI

In a message dated 8/19/2003 6:25:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
nick6489@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Thank god!  Finally, some one who is helping with the newer dectalks.  It's
taken long enough.  If you have a sample of the old dectalk sounded like,
that's what You guys should be going for in the next release.  Dectalk
sounds absolutely nothing like it should these days.  Thanks, and hoping for
the best dectalk release since 4.2C,
Nick
P.P.S.  You can contact me off-list to explain a little bit of what I and
many others think it should sound like.
    P.P.S
    Try to work out a deal with Freedom Scientific, please?  .