[DECtalk], Re: A Bit Torrent of the Dectalk archive

  • From: "Jayson Smith" <ratguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dectalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 04:36:40 -0500

Hi,
Actually Bit Torrent is not very good for constantly changing sites, and
this torrent probably won't last very long to be honest.  There is no way to
download just part of a torrent, you must download the entire thing.  The
reason I did this mainly was to try to shift the bandwidth burden over to a
larger number of people in the wake of the recent sudden interest in the
archive.  Andre once said that over a three-day period, 3.5 GB of his
bandwidth was being taken up by the Dectalk archive.  Since the archive is
only about 341 megabytes long, that's quite astounding.
Yes, I do plan on continuing the http and ftp mirrors for the time being.  I
have no immediate plans for becoming the official archive maintainer, unless
Andre shuts his copy down.  I have recently installed a PHP form generator
which will, among other things, allow people to upload from their web
browser and not have to use an insecure ftp upload directory.  Frankly,
there isn't much activity on the archive of late.  I don't know if
everybody's tired of Dectalk (I know a few people who are sick and tired of
it) or what, but people just aren't uploading stuff.
Jayson.