[DECtalk], If Dectalk were made open source, I'd...

  • From: "Jayson Smith" <ratguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dectalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 00:05:23 -0400

Hi,
An interesting thought just came to me.  I just had this idea to post to
this list.  If Dectalk were made open source, and you had the ability to do
anything you wanted to it, what would you do?  Now here is the only ground
rule I can think of.  You don't actually need to be able to do the things
you mention, E.G. if you are a total non-programmer you probably couldn't do
much with it.  But just curious to find out what other people think would be
cool features.  And for my part, I'd...
Add in a polyphonic mode!  You could make Dectalk sing using several voices
at once!
More range!  Three octaves?  Why not another octave in both directions?
That's one thing I like about Vocalwriter, but unfortunately we can't use
it.  You get more range in both directions.
Maybe design some sort of protocol or file format where you could, instead
of downloading the audio of a Dectalk performance, download a text file of
said performance.  Polyphonic mode would accomplish this.  Now wouldn't it
be cool if you could click on a .dec file in IE and have it automatically
open up and play in a Dectalk program?
Add in some nifty and crazy voices.
So, what do you think?  Any more ideas?
Jayson.