[DECtalk], Hello! Docs for ISA card?

  • From: "1nd0lent X" <x1nd0lent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dectalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 05:41:34 -0500

Greetings!
          I have just gotten my own DECtalk card running, which I am quite
psyched about! I tried my PII with win2k, but I could not configure the
board's single ISA slot to recognize the card. I was a bit worried. Then I
dusted off my old P233 and configured it in win98 with no problems. Can't
wait till I can run it on my main computer!
          It has been years that I have wanted to run a DECtalk card, first
having tried one in the late 1980's when my dad worked at DEC in
Massachusetts. I was really spoiled considering that the unit is still the
best quality articulation I have yet heard from a speech synth. Other than
that, I have played with the Speech Manager in MacOS, and abused the LPC
functions of the TI "Speak & Spell".
          I can't help but notice that all of the links I have found for the
hardware specifications are dead! The DEC documentation was typically very
comprehensive? Would some of you folks be so kind as to provide links to
original documentaion, such as the user's or tyech manuals to the ISA
DECtalk card? I am not much of a coder, but I would really like to try to
make better drivers for the unit. Also, any technical info on Klatt
synthesis, especially in dedicated hardware, would be wonderful to read.
Thanks for your help and for this fascinating forum!
1nd0lent X