[DECtalk], Dectalk from the command line?

  • From: "Jayson Smith" <ratguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dectalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 22:21:26 -0400

Hi,
I've always wished for a way to use Dectalk software from the command line,
E.G. to play a specific file or convert it to wav.  However, as far as I
know there's no way to do that using speak43.  I was hoping that the Dectalk
demo for Linux would be a command line application but since it requires
some graffics libraries it would appear that it's also a GUI application.
Does anybody know of any way, either on Windows or Linux, to use Dectalk
software from the command line?
I might some day write a little program which would allow you to play a
Dectalk file from the command line or associate .dec files with it.  What it
would do is be a front-end to the speak43 application.  It would have to
know where speak43.exe was stored on your system, then copy the specified
file over to demo.txt in the same directory, then invoke speak43, then exit.
That would be nice.
Jayson.

---
the DECtalk list.