[DECtalk], Dectalk PC2 problems

  • From: "Jayson Smith" <ratguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dectalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 07:03:54 -0500

Hi,
This past summer we bought a Dectalk Express which came with a Dectalk PC
board.  What we expected to get was the old, long PC1 board but we were
surprised and excited because it was a PC2.  However, I can't get it to do
anything, and will now describe what it's doing so I can find out whether it
would interface better with a PC or the compactor in a garbage truck.
In short, it's doing absolutely nothing.  When the PC is turned on, the
speaker hooked up to the PC2 board doesn't pop and you can't hear amplifier
noise.  Should you be able to hear amplifier noise when the PC2 is powered
up, even before the drivers are loaded?  I know you could on the older PC1
boards.
The software indicates it can't find a PC2 module at the default IO address
of $250H.  I had a sighted person confirm that the dip switches were set to
the factory defaults as listed in the user guide.  What's up with this
board?
Thanks,
Jayson