[DECtalk], Dectalk Express downgrade is safe!

  • From: "Jayson Smith" <ratguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dectalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 09:40:10 -0500

Ok in answer to my question of about a week ago asking if it would be safe
to downgrade a Dectalk Express.  I asked this on the Jfwlite list and
somebody responded that it was safe and she'd done it herself.  She was
right!
Summary
If you have a Dectalk Express from Force or probably Fonix, E.G. one that
says "Dectalk Express is running for American English" when you turn it on
and you don't like the speech, it is safe to downgrade the firmware to
version 4.2CD of the firmware from Digital.  This file may be obtained from
gwmicro.com among other places probably.  If there's enough demand I could
put the file up on my website.
Disclaimer
Although I have done this and did not run into any problems, I shall not be
held responsible for any damages of any kind caused by anybody trying this,
even if I have been advised of the possibility of such damages.  Any and all
other disclaimers you may have seen from time to time also apply to this
message and the advice given herein.
  Jayson.

---
the DECtalk list.