[DECtalk], A trick for getting an extra octave of singing range out of Dectalk

  • From: "Jayson Smith" <ratguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dectalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 08:07:17 -0400

Hi guys,
I actually discovered this quite a while back but had forgotten how to do
it.  I just now figured it out again.  This will give you an extra octave of
lower range when making Dectalk sing.  It might sound a bit weird, but it
might be okay for those really low bass notes in a multi-voice performance.
What you do is, after you've selected the singing voice, put in the
following command
[:dv la 100]
This effects the voice in such a way that stuff sounds an octave lower than
it really is.  There's still a bit of the real voice in there but the lower
effect pretty much wipes it out.  So with this setting in effect, note 13 is
escentially the same as note 1 without this setting.
Note, I don't think there's any way to get any higher range than one octave
above middle C.