[debatewisewzm] Happy New Year debatewise editors

  • From: Alex Helling <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: debatewisewzm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 10:42:25 +0000 (GMT)

Dear editors,

      Sorry for not having been in contact for a
long time. I hope you have great Christmas Holidays and I wish you a happy new
year, have you yet broken your new year’s resolutions?

This email is a
bit of a copout as I have not really thought up a large topic for you to be
focusing
on improving the debates of. Since it is the UN international year of forests I
thought that I would send out some related debates – though we don’t have very
many. See below.

The other thing
I am emailing you about is that debatewise is merging with debatepedia and
debatabase (which already has its debates transferred into debatewise format)
and is becoming IDEA UK.
This means that we need to go through everything and begin reducing the number
of doubles. More particularly as a place to start we need to begin identifying
where there are doubled debates so that we can merge them.

This means my
task for you is pretty simple it is to find doubles of debates and to tell me
where they are on the forum. Of course feel
to begin the process of merging them and making them better if you wish but at
the moment the main task is to work out which debates need to be merged
together.
I am sure that I will be in contact again about this sometime in the near
future!

Regards,

Alex Helling

Forestry
debates (I have added them to the tasklist that I keep failing to update!):

http://debatewise.org/debates/3189-the-un-should-impose-tough-economic-sanctions-on-countries-that-exploit-their-forests-unsustainably

http://debatewise.org/debates/1498-spend-billions-to-allow-investors-to-protect-rainforests
(despite it being done by me this one needs a better introduction – it was done
in a hurry during the Copenhagen conference in 2009)

http://debatewise.org/debates/1342-we-should-increase-the-protection-of-tropical-rainforests

http://debatewise.org/debates/1050-the-un-should-impose-sanctions-on-countries-that-destroy-their-rainforests
(this one seems similar to 3189, as this one is a WODC one it cant be edited
but it would be great to take the best points reword them and add them to the
newer debate)

I will also
point out that if searching around for other similar debates you may find
http://debatewise.org/debates/1622-put-clean-energy-before-saving-the-rainforest
do NOT bother editing it as it is
written by the global youth panel, you can edit it but it gets automatically
switched back so there is no point!