[Debatewise RRT] Re: debates

  • From: helen doherty <xhelendohertyx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <debatewiserrt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 22:46:24 +0000

I will take Europe as Foreign Land to Britain please
Thanks
Helen

From: alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: debatewiserrt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Debatewise RRT] debates
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 19:54:37 +0000

Hi all,

Eeeek im late! Sorry for being late with this – even if you don’t mind
it means I get home very late so I do mind! I think that I should mention since
we are getting more people on the RRT who are not necessarily taking debates
from our list but instead mostly coming up with their own debate titles that
there is an option for a digest version of the emails from the RRT. I realise
that particularly on Tuesday and Wednesday we create a large number of emails
so anyone who does not rely on getting the email ASAP in order to be able to
grab the topic they want may wish to get the daily digest. Email me if you wish
to have your preferences changed. I think you can probably do it yourself but
can’t be bothered to explain how!

Regards,

Alex

Debates:

Information should be translated into minority languages.

While the language of the nation is English in order for
many minorities some are not fluent enough in English to understand government
information given out in English. So even if the numbers are very small they
need to have information published in their language. Minority British
languages such as Gaelic or Welsh appear on road signs as well as information
leaflets. Now the Scottish parliament has even translated some of its website
into scots. Pointless or necessary?

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/vli/language/scots/index.htm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1227837/Walcome-tae-Scottish-Pairlament-wabsite-The-internet-guide-Holyrood--translated-Scots-dialect.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6172805.stm

Should players loyalty be to their club over their
country?

In most sports the best members of each team are likely to
be called up to serve the country in national matches. This can often be in
direct conflict with the interests of the club to whom the player belongs,
either there are clashes in fixtures or the club wishes their star players to
be rested so that they can be at their best for their key club matches. However
for a player playing for your country is something to be prized, especially if
it is in prestigious matches, it helps them get noticed internationally.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2010/teams/england/3479028/The-Debate-Should-England-players-put-country-before-their-clubs-Football.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/may/25/theo-walcott-arsenal-england-wenger

http://www.cricketworld.com/internationalcricketnews/new_zealand/article/?aid=21428

U2 the right band to headline next year’s
Glastonbury festival?

U2 is finally to headline at Glastonbury. While they are a
major band who have been roumered as a possible headline for years their style
of concert does not fit in well with Glastonbury. Their concerts are too big
for the context of being set within a festival so U2 have tended to avoid
festivals.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/nov/23/u2-glastonbury-festival

http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=10&title=u2_to_headline_glastonbury_5_reasons_it_&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Today’s children are "over sanitised" by
health and safety regulations.

Children used to be much freer in their possible activities,
they would play football on the streets, could spend all day out and about
engaging in activities like fishing without adult supervision. Now health and
safety
may keep children safe and healthy as advertised but it stifles their freedom,
they can no longer do anything without an adult present, and the adults in turn
are tightly regulated. Is there any adventure left for children?

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2009/11November/Pages/Is-dirt-good-for-kids.aspx

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8373690.stm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/mar/30/children.health

China should be responsible for security in South Asia.

China’s role in South Asia has not often been
positive, propping up the junta in Myanmar, helping Pakistan no matter what
Pakistan does, aiding the Maoists in Nepal. China has certainly not gone out of
its way to recognise that India might have a sphere of influence. However in
his visit to China Obama appeared to support a more active role for China in
South Asia, not the way to win over the Indians!

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/South_Asia/KK21Df03.html

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/South_Asia/KC14Df01.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/24/world/asia/24india.html?ref=asia

New York is the right place for Khalid Sheikh Mohammed’s
trial.

9/11 is imprinted on New York’s consciousness. As the
place where the spectacular attacks on the world trade centre took place it can
be seen as both the best and the worst place to hold Khalid Sheikh Mohammed’s
trial. It has huge symbolic meaning, but there is less chance of a fair trial
in a city that has lost so many people in the attacks. There may have been
dislike at the possibility of a military trial but such a trial would be less
likely to be swayed by public opinion and the inevitable media blitz. So is New
York the right place?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/14/us/14terror.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/nov/13/911-mastermind-trial-challenges-analysis

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/24/opinion/24iht-edgerson.html

Cadbury should not be sold.

Cadbury is an iconic business. As it was a Quaker company Cadbury
is a business with a soul. The vultures are however circling, Kraft has
launched a hostile bid and others may follow suit. Most big business mergers
and acquisitions do not result in the savings advertised and instead destroy
the culture of one or other firm. So do the benefits outweigh the costs of a
takeover, or should we hold onto a national asset?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1229813/Keep-Cadbury-British-New-union-fears-jobs-Americans-sweet-iconic-UK-chocolate-maker.html

http://www.confectionerynews.com/The-Big-Picture/Chocolate-market-set-to-consolidate-says-analyst
(there is a magazine to have on ‘Have I got news for you’ eh?)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/poll/2009/sep/07/cadbury-kraft-british-brand

Will Europe always be considered the foreign land for the
British?

Europe as an island nation has always been a bit isolated
from the rest of Europe. While the continental Europeans seem to get along well
with each other and be increasingly considering themselves European we lag
behind. Britain is as Euroskeptic as ever. No one is willing to make the case
for us becoming closer to Europe and increasing trade does not seem to be
working. Europe remains a foreign place to go on holiday rather than part of
the national identity.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/dominic-lawson/dominic-lawson-europe-will-always-be-a-foreign-land-for-the-british-1826457.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brown-britain-must-be-at-heart-of-europe-1826290.html

Does religion cause conflict?

Religion is at the heart of many conflicts in the world
today. Samuel P. Huntingdons Clash of Civilisations based civilisations upon
religion, civilisations will clash so religions will clash. And it is religion
that causes this. Religion unifies within a religion but creates an ‘other’
against which to fight. It becomes easy to justify conflict based upon
religious principles. However religion also preaches peace. So does religion
create conflict, or bring us together?

http://www.thebcobserver.com/2009/10/27/does-religion-cause-more-conflict-than-good/

http://www.secularism.org.uk/religioncauseswarsitdoesntsolvet.html

http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/49414/samuel-p-huntington/if-not-civilizations-what-samuel-huntington-responds-to-his-crit

http://history.club.fatih.edu.tr/103%20Huntington%20Clash%20of%20Civilizations%20full%20text.htm

(as this is a very big question I suggest at least two of
you take it on)

Use Revisewise @ http://revisewise.debatewise.com/

Add your Gmail and Yahoo! Mail email accounts into Hotmail - it's easy
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/186394592/direct/01/