[Debatewise RRT] Re: debates

  • From: Michael Archer <mikearcher87@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "debatewiserrt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <debatewiserrt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 20:04:02 +0000 (GMT)

Can I take the Israel/US/Iran one please.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone

On 10 Nov 2009, at 19:18, "Alex Helling" <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Good evening all,

                                     I apologise for not sending you any
questions over the weekend, my fig leaf reason for this was so that I did not
get in the way of the discussion about the Global Youth Panel. The real reason
was that I was too busy working on that same project and so was too lazy to
also work out some more questions for you lot over the weekend!

Alex

Reheat tea in the microwave

Kettles use a lot of electricity, particularly as many of us boil more water
than we need to make our cup. We also often let our beverage go cold and then
make some more, after all no one likes cold tea or coffee. So we waste yet more
electricity, instead we should stuff it in the microwave to reheat it so use
less.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/6531540/Reheat-cold-cups-of-tea-Government-waste-watchdog-says.html

http://allteatime.com/Tea-FAQ/can-i-use-a-microwave-to-brew-tea.html

Ration holidays

Holidays should not just be about the physical price of getting to your
destination and staying there, but should also be costed for the carbon you use
to go on holiday. Many areas such as Canadian and US National Parks already
charge people to enter in order to pay for the environmental damage done there
by the tourists. Should we each be assigned a certain amount of CO2 we can
produce by going to and being on holiday which we then can’t go over?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1137204/Ration-holiday-flights-cut-pollution-says-Browns-adviser.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article6909046.ece

Can it really be considered an insult to receive a letter from the Prime
Minister?

The family of every soldier killed receives a hand written letter from the
Prime Minister. However Gordon Brown made numerous spelling mistakes including
the spelling the family name as James in his letter to Jacqui Janes. Should the
PM really be vilified for something as minor as this, at least he went to the
effort of hand writing the letter, he can’t really be expected to know the name
of every soldier who is killed if his staff give it to him wrong and he can’t
be expected to check everything he writes.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/2720283/Prime-Minister-Gordon-Brown-couldnt-even-get-our-name-right.html
 as much as I dislike the sun I thought it was best to give the original
article!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8349757.stm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/defence/6529638/Gordon-Brown-apologises-to-soldiers-family-over-misspelled-condolence-letter.html

The Government should store records of the public’s communications?

This labour government seems to be determined to trample all over civil
liberties. Normally the public support them in their quest to catch terrorists
or whoever may be engaging in some anti social misdemeanour however this time
consultation has shown the public to be against the scheme. The Government
intends to go ahead with plans to store records of every communication we make,
whether my email, phone, text as well as every web page we visit. Many are
arguing there are far too few safeguards. Should the government be allowed?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/lawandorder/6534319/State-to-spy-on-every-phone-call-email-and-web-search.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7962631.stm

http://press.homeoffice.gov.uk/Speeches/comms-data-consultation

Would the world be able to cope if oil runs out quicker than estimates suggest?

Oil is running out. As a fossil fuel there is not more oil being produced so as
we use tens of millions of barrels of oil every day it is inevitable that the
Oil will run out sooner or later. However production may well decline long
before oil runs out as oil will reach peak output and then decline when we can
no longer expand output. This will create a crisis in our way of life which is
totally oil dependent.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/datablog/2009/nov/10/energy-statistics-oil-coal

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/nov/09/peak-oil-international-energy-agency

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/279153

http://www.newcolonist.com/world_without_oil.html

Should USA drop support for Israel in an attempt to strengthen ties with Iran?

The USA has for decades staunchly supported Israel and in turn gets vilified
across the Islamic world, including Iran. The US support for Israel is no
longer needed as Israel is both the strongest military power in the region
despite its small size and a nuclear power. Israel has its own sophisticated
defence companies so does not even need American weapons. All the while rage at
the US continues for its support of Israel, would it not be strategically wise
to reduce ties with Israel?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/nov/09/us-american-hikers-iran-border

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/130066

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1191257274889&pagename=JPArticle%2FShowFull

Was Gorbachev a key player in the fall of the Berlin Wall?

Gorbachev has been praised for his role in the fall of the Eastern Bloc,
however he was not directly on the scene in East Germany so his impact was
indirect, on how the East German government and people acted and reacted to his
statements. Does he deserve to be seen as a key player in the fall of the wall,
as opposed to the Eastern Bloc as a whole?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=120188545

http://www.newsweek.com/id/221194

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/fullcomment/archive/2009/11/07/george-jonas-gorbachev-didn-t-tear-down-that-wall.aspx

Does David Haye have the ability to be Britain's best ever heavyweight boxer?

David Haye has just won the World Boxing Association heavyweight belt, however
he still have three more to win before he retires to even be considered as the
greatest. As it is obviously not the case yet does he have to potential?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxingandmma/6533635/David-Haye-is-still-a-long-way-from-greatness.html

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/garethadavies/100003254/david-haye-the-new-muhammad-ali-what-a-load-of-lennox/

http://www.skysports.com/haye/story/0,27000,17213_5660517,00.html

Are good video games is worth more than good films?

Video games are both becoming increasingly expensive and getting increasingly
large returns on their investment. They are beginning to outperform blockbuster
movies in takings. They give many more hours of entertainment and they are
engaging rather than being a  passive entertainment, so better all round?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2009/jul/20/gameculture

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2009/sep/27/videogames-hollywood

Schools should have a later start time.

As we get older we need less sleep, conversely forcing teenagers at school to
wake up for a long journey into school at the crack of dawn is
counterproductive. They would do better starting school later to allow teens to
sleep in and be properly awake when they star school.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23381421-making-teens-start-school-in-the-morning-is-cruel-brain-doctor-claims.do

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/to-sleep-perchance-to-get-better-grades-1817726.html

Use Revisewise @ http://revisewise.debatewise.com/