[Debatewise RRT] Re: debates

  • From: helen doherty <xhelendohertyx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <debatewiserrt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 19:23:01 +0000

can i take the one on schools starting later.
thanks
Helen

From: alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: debatewiserrt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Debatewise RRT] debates
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 19:18:21 +0000

Good evening all,

I apologise for not sending you any questions over the weekend, my fig leaf
reason
for this was so that I did not get in the way of the discussion about the Global
Youth Panel. The real reason was that I was too busy working on that same
project and so was too lazy to also work out some more questions for you lot
over the weekend!

Alex

Reheat tea in the microwave

Kettles use a lot of electricity, particularly as many of us
boil more water than we need to make our cup. We also often let our beverage go
cold and then make some more, after all no one likes cold tea or coffee. So we
waste yet more electricity, instead we should stuff it in the microwave to
reheat it so use less.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/6531540/Reheat-cold-cups-of-tea-Government-waste-watchdog-says.html

http://allteatime.com/Tea-FAQ/can-i-use-a-microwave-to-brew-tea.html

Ration holidays

Holidays should not just be about the physical price of getting
to your destination and staying there, but should also be costed for the carbon
you use to go on holiday. Many areas such as Canadian and US National Parks
already
charge people to enter in order to pay for the environmental damage done there
by the tourists. Should we each be assigned a certain amount of CO2 we can
produce by going to and being on holiday which we then can’t go over?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1137204/Ration-holiday-flights-cut-pollution-says-Browns-adviser.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article6909046.ece

Can it really be considered an insult to receive a letter
from the Prime Minister?

The family of every soldier killed receives a hand written
letter from the Prime Minister. However Gordon Brown made numerous spelling
mistakes including the spelling the family name as James in his letter to Jacqui
Janes. Should the PM really be vilified for something as minor as this, at
least he went to the effort of hand writing the letter, he can’t really
be expected to know the name of every soldier who is killed if his staff give
it to him wrong and he can’t be expected to check everything he writes.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/2720283/Prime-Minister-Gordon-Brown-couldnt-even-get-our-name-right.html
as much as I dislike the sun I thought it was best to give the original
article!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8349757.stm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/defence/6529638/Gordon-Brown-apologises-to-soldiers-family-over-misspelled-condolence-letter.html

The Government should store records of the public’s
communications?

This labour government seems to be determined to trample all
over civil liberties. Normally the public support them in their quest to catch
terrorists or whoever may be engaging in some anti social misdemeanour however
this time consultation has shown the public to be against the scheme. The
Government intends to go ahead with plans to store records of every
communication we make, whether my email, phone, text as well as every web page
we visit. Many are arguing there are far too few safeguards. Should the
government be allowed?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/lawandorder/6534319/State-to-spy-on-every-phone-call-email-and-web-search.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7962631.stm

http://press.homeoffice.gov.uk/Speeches/comms-data-consultation

Would the world be able to cope if oil runs out quicker
than estimates suggest?

Oil is running out. As a fossil fuel there is not more oil
being produced so as we use tens of millions of barrels of oil every day it is
inevitable that the Oil will run out sooner or later. However production may
well decline long before oil runs out as oil will reach peak output and then
decline when we can no longer expand output. This will create a crisis in our
way of life which is totally oil dependent.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/datablog/2009/nov/10/energy-statistics-oil-coal

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/nov/09/peak-oil-international-energy-agency

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/279153

http://www.newcolonist.com/world_without_oil.html

Should USA drop support for Israel in an attempt to
strengthen ties with Iran?

The USA has for decades staunchly supported Israel and in
turn gets vilified across the Islamic world, including Iran. The US support for
Israel is no longer needed as Israel is both the strongest military power in
the region despite its small size and a nuclear power. Israel has its own
sophisticated defence companies so does not even need American weapons. All the
while rage at the US continues for its support of Israel, would it not be
strategically wise to reduce ties with Israel?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/nov/09/us-american-hikers-iran-border

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/130066

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1191257274889&pagename=JPArticle%2FShowFull

Was Gorbachev a key player in the fall of the Berlin
Wall?

Gorbachev has been praised for his role in the fall of the
Eastern Bloc, however he was not directly on the scene in East Germany so his
impact was indirect, on how the East German government and people acted and
reacted to his statements. Does he deserve to be seen as a key player in the
fall of the wall, as opposed to the Eastern Bloc as a whole?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=120188545

http://www.newsweek.com/id/221194

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/fullcomment/archive/2009/11/07/george-jonas-gorbachev-didn-t-tear-down-that-wall.aspx

Does David Haye have the ability to be Britain's best
ever heavyweight boxer?

David Haye has just won the World Boxing Association heavyweight
belt, however he still have three more to win before he retires to even be
considered as the greatest. As it is obviously not the case yet does he have to
potential?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxingandmma/6533635/David-Haye-is-still-a-long-way-from-greatness.html

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/garethadavies/100003254/david-haye-the-new-muhammad-ali-what-a-load-of-lennox/

http://www.skysports.com/haye/story/0,27000,17213_5660517,00.html

Are good video games is worth more than good films?

Video games are both becoming increasingly expensive and
getting increasingly large returns on their investment. They are beginning to
outperform blockbuster movies in takings. They give many more hours of
entertainment and they are engaging rather than being a  passive
entertainment, so better all round?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2009/jul/20/gameculture

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2009/sep/27/videogames-hollywood

Schools should have a later start time.

As we get older we need less sleep, conversely forcing teenagers
at school to wake up for a long journey into school at the crack of dawn is
counterproductive.
They would do better starting school later to allow teens to sleep in and be
properly awake when they star school.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23381421-making-teens-start-school-in-the-morning-is-cruel-brain-doctor-claims.do

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/to-sleep-perchance-to-get-better-grades-1817726.html

Use Revisewise @ http://revisewise.debatewise.com/

Add your Gmail and Yahoo! Mail email accounts into Hotmail - it's easy
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/186394592/direct/01/