[Debatewise RRT] Re: Some debates not related to the UK general election!

  • From: rogers.lewis@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: debatewiserrt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 19:09:22 +0000

Hi guys,

I'll take: India not China will be the next superpower if I may. Will get it
posted tomorrow morning hopefully.

Cheers.

Lewis

From: "Alex Helling" <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 18:34:59
To: <debatewiserrt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Debatewise RRT] Some debates not related to the UK general election!

Hello RRT,

                     Thanks for all of your help so far with the general
election debates, most of the ones for the UK generally are now up and
Hassan the intern with unlock democracy is working to have something up on
the rest. However a lot of the debates still need additions too them adding
points and editing. So that is going to take the place of my 'debates on the
site' for this week. Also because of all our general election activity I
have tried to steer clear of UK domestic politics when it comes to debates.

However we are expecting that at some point (they say tomorrow) Unlock
Democracy will give us some more questions for Scotland, Wales and Northern
Ireland. Hopefully this will not be so many as there were for the national
ones. When we get them I will write out some summaries/introductions, find
some news articles and then send them out to you so that you get a chance to
do some, as well as to reduce the load on us here! So if you wish more
domestic policy then I suggest you either wait for these new ones later in
the week or contribute to the election debates that are already up at
http://electionuk.debatewise.org/

Regards,

Alex

Debates (as I mentioned limited in number in the hope you add to the general
election ones)

The US should impose unilateral tariffs on Chinese goods.

The economist Paul Krugman argues that Obama should meet China's currency
manipulation and unfair trading practices head on. The USA did just that in
1971 by adding tariffs on Japanese and German goods that had undervalued
currencies. Any such action would emphasise the rising tensions between the
USA and China and would also show that the G20 was serious when it said last
year that there needed to be a rebalancing of the world's economy, which
primarily means China consuming more and the USA consuming less.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/15/opinion/15krugman.html

http://drezner.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2010/03/15/i_think_ive_found_a_purpos
e_for_the_g_8

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/13/AR2010031302
048.html

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/markets/market_news/article.jsp?content=D9EF
RQSG0

India not China will be the next superpower.

Almost everyone agrees that China will soon be a superpower, it is rapidly
catching up with the USA in terms of the size of its economy, it is rapidly
increasing its military spending and is becoming increasingly assertive in
its foreign policy. There has been talk of a potential G2 of the USA and
China dominating the world and settling its problems between them. Where
does this leave India? Although it is not yet as big economically as China
India is also growing rapidly. As a democracy it has a political culture
that is much more agreeable to the west than China's communism. China also
has problems that India does not; while China's population is beginning to
age like the developed world India is much more youthful so will keep up
rapid growth for longer.

http://www.indiandefencereview.com/2010/03/india-and-the-us-haunting-past-an
d-beckoning-future.html

http://yaleglobal.yale.edu/content/china-india-superpower-not-so-fast

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/jul2008/gb20080722_942925.htm?
chan=rss_topDiscussed_ssi_5

http://www.businesspundit.com/why-china-will-be-the-next-superpower/

CCTV in schools are needed.

A recent study has found that a number of schools within the UK are
monitoring students via CCTV as frequently as inmates in prisons, many of
which are likely to be breaking the law by failing to alert students to the
presence of surveillance equipment. However, does the need for schools to
provide protection for children mean that such measures are justifiable?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/mar/15/schools-break-law-to-spy

http://www.channel4.com/learning/microsites/I/ideasfactory/webit/teachers/si
tes/cctv/privacy_or_safety.htm

http://www.articlesbase.com/customer-service-articles/cctv-cameras-in-school
s-help-to-curb-crime-531816.html

Should the ban on in-race refuelling be removed from Formula One?
Prior to the start of the new Formula One season it was announced that there
would be a ban on in-race refuelling for the first time since 1993 in order
to cut costs. However, after Sunday's dull start to the season in Bahrain,
should the sport consider removing the ban as soon as possible? Or will
races become more interesting if drivers are given time to adjust to the
rule change?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/7450600/David-Coultha
rd-Max-Mosleys-Formula-One-legacy-has-left-us-with-soporific-spectacle.html

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-controversy-over-new-refueling-ban
-begins/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/7458129/Bernie-Eccles
tone-warns-against-making-knee-jerk-changes-to-Formula-One.html

Were Hull City right to sack Phil Brown?
This week saw Hull City sack manager Phil Brown after a string of poor
results has left the side second from bottom in the Premier League. With a
relegation dog-fight on their hands, will the removal of the most successful
manager in the club's history cause further instability or provide it's only
chance of survival?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/mar/15/phil-brown-hull-city

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/mar/15/hull-city-phil-brown-sacking

Use Revisewise @ http://revisewise.debatewise.com/