[dea] My DEA experiences so far

  • From: 7jsa-6hq1@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 09:58:54 -0400

Here are my two cents, as well as some questions, regarding disposable
e-mail addresses:

I've used Sneakemail for close to a year now, and though there have been
delays at times, I've been happy enough with it to donate the requested
$12.00 for a six-month reprieve from the nag screen.  As PC Magazine noted
in a recent review of DEA services, however, the recently-imposed 80k
limitation on messages makes Sneakemail unsuitable "for business or even
serious personal use."  (I have to note, however, that if I were to use a
Sneakemail address for business, I would lose all credibility based on the
domain name alone.  That's something for people to consider.)  By the way,
the voluntary donation does not, at this point, buy any extra perks such as
the ability to receive heftier messages.

From my perspective, the bottom line on Sneakemail is this:  If they are
going to ask for $24.00 a year, which seems likely, they need to scrap the
80k limitation -- at least for paying customers.  They also need to add some
of the features that they were earlier promising, such as the ability to
forward messages to different real addresses rather than just a single one.

I've just started using Spamex, and was impressed enough with the free trial
that I signed up for a year at $9.95.  The popup interface is slick and
intuitive, though I miss one feature that Sneakemail provides, namely, the
ability to add your name (or a chosen alias) to identify yourself in
outbound messages.  I use DEAs not for anonymity, but for spam prevention,
and I'd prefer to have "Scott Moorman" show up in the "From:" header rather
than just 7jsa-6hq1@xxxxxxxxxxx  My other pet peeve with Spamex:  The
service automatically adds addresses to the contact list for a given e-mail
alias whenever mail is sent or received, and I cannot, for the life of me,
find a way to delete the damn things.  It should function like any other
contact list:  There are some addresses I want to keep, and some that are
stale or are otherwise just taking up screen real estate.

Now comes a question for any experts out there:  I have my own domain, and
my host provides me with up to 20 POP e-mail accounts . . . but not
unlimited aliases.  I can have up to 20 forwarding addresses operating at
one time, but I consider that insufficient.  I have PHP/MySQL, but I'm not
sure whether there's a way for me to set up a true DEA service (if only for
my own use), since I don't actually have access to the server.  If anyone
would care to offer advice (and yes, I know that switching hosts is one
option), I'd appreciate it.

Best regards to all.

Scott Moorman

--