[ddots-l] Re: the mysterious world of mastering

  • From: Chris Smart <chris_s@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 13:55:24 -0500

Hi Shawn.

Obviously, don't allow any clipping. But, a safe ceiling might be -3dB or so. Just don't stick a limiter or compressor on the master bus; that's their job. Then again, I'm sure you knew that.

Doug Sax! Wow! Just being able to talk to the man would be an honour.
Since you have such great guys mastering your project, can I ask you a favor? For my own education, could I hear maybe a 60-second clip of the unmastered and then mastered mix? It's hard to know what magic these guys add to things when you only hear the finished project, on cd or worse, on the radio.

Chris