[ddots-l] Re: song demos

  • From: "Phil Muir" <ddots@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 17:32:07 +0100

Luis wrote: Hi Phil:
as far as I know the cwb file should be smaller because it does a single
wave file with only the fragments that are recorded instead of having
silence throughout the tracks.

Phil replied: usually when you create a .cwb file, and if you haven't done any editing on it at all then, it will create lots of small wave files for each of the tracks, as you haven't compiled them all into one large edited wave file. After doing all of the various edits on tracks and using the "apply trimming" and "bounce to clips" commands, you will achieve the same results as you have described above.

Luis wrote; when you bounce the tracks from top to bottom you'll get silent spaces.

Phil replied; I hear what your saying however, if you have done the above mentioned steps, you shouldn't have any silence in any of your wave files.

Luis wrote: then when compressing you can bring it down to 60 percent size.

Phil replied: just tried a bit of an experiment here. I had a project and it's folder. The total size was 159MB in size. I .rared it and it became 111MB. So, just for fun, I bundled it and it it then, rared it, and it became 97MB. So, your definitely right about the bundle being smaller after raring it. However, I would still personally go with raring a per project folder and all of it's associated audio as bundles can fail to open some times. If that happens then, you could potentially loose all of the data in that project where as, if you say loose the .cwp file or, some of the audio attached to it then, it's still possible to build the project again from scratch.

Regards, Phil Muir

P J Muir Productions,
Music And Audio Production
Telephone: US (615) 713-2021