[ddots-l] Re: some opinions

  • From: Bryan Smart <bryansmart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 11:12:56 -0400

Here is how this works:

When a sequencer program like Sonar wishes to command a MIDI keyboard or sound
module to load a specific voice preset, Sonar sends what is called a patch
change message. When people use the track properties dialog in Sonar to change
the instrument voice that is heard from a synthesizer, Sonar is sending patch
change messages as you scroll through the list of available voices.

Patch change commands aren't just for MIDI keyboards and modules, though. Most
MIDI-capable gear will respond to patch change commands. MIDI-capable effects
units will respond by changing the current preset. If you connect your Pod to
Sonar over MIDI, then change patches from the track properties window, you'll
notice that the effects preset on the Pod will change.

Other than the track properties dialog, there is another way to use patch
change commands from Sonar. Patch change commands can be added in the middle of
a track as a MIDI event. To recap, the track properties dialog selects the
voice or preset that the track will initially be set to play at the beginning
of the project, but patch change events on that track can change the patch in
the middle of the project.

Now, simply put these two bits of info together. To accomplish what you
observed, you'd need to have Sonar playing a backing track of some type, even
if it is just a click or percussion track. In that project, you'd add another
track to control your Pod. The new track for controlling the Pod would need to
have its output set to the MIDI port where the Pod is connected. At appropriate
points in the song (goin in to or out of a solo, for example), you'd insert
patch change commands on the track to call up the appropriate preset on the
Pod. Then, when you started the project playing from the beginning, those patch
change commands would automatically go out to the Pod and change its preset.

You can go further with this sort of MIDI automation. Many MIDI-capable effects
units also respond to continuous controller (CC) messages. Some people will be
familiar with at least a few of these as they're used in general MIDI. You can
frequently control several, though not all, aspects of the sound with CC
messages, including reverb and chorus amount, pan, and volume. I don't know
which ones your Pod will respond to, but its manual should have that info. For
my VoiceLive 2, MIDI CC messages can adjust the volume and pan position for the
lead voice, each of the 4 harmony parts, volume, chorus and reverb amount,
portamento time, vibrato amount, formant shift, and several others. Some
effects units have quite extensive support for MIDI control.

Bryan

On Oct 12, 2011, at 9:28 PM, Mark Burroughs wrote:

Hi tom,
Sorry about the lag time in my response…
I talked with the drummer, the guy who controlled the computer during a gig,
about how he made my Line 6 play nice with Sonar on stage.  He told me that he
would select different guitar parts, making sure it was between notes, and then
select the patch I was on in the midi editor and hit save.  This way a louder
patch would come on when it was time to solo, or a patch with an effect would
come up for different songs, etc.
I’m sure there are guys on Midi-Mag that could tell you how to do this with
ease.  I’m still more analog and basic digital informed only.  The guys that
have been using midi for years probably know exactly what you would need to do
in order for the software to interact with the midi to let you have total
freedom on stage to just play music and not have to worry about a midi pedal
constantly to change your sound.
Sorry I am not more informed about this and feel like a super star just because
I figured out how to use Dimension Pro’s instruments.  The basic midi stuff is
beyond me at this point though.
HTH and good luck,
Mark