[ddots-l] Re: software vs hardware recording

  • From: "Jim Jackson" <cs2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 09:40:11 -0400

How does one access the parameters on soft synths, such as the tts, in order to customize sounds? ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Burgess" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2008 9:34 AM
Subject: [ddots-l] Re: software vs hardware recording

Hi,

One reason that this might be what you're experiencing is that the presets
on a lot of hardware synths are tailored for oriental tastes.  I know this
for a fact on Yamaha equipment, where the emphasis is placed on thinner
and/or more metallic tones compared to the warmer, fatter sounds that
Western culture goes for.  The soft synths provided by Cakewalk have been
developed with the Western market in mind, so the emphasis shifts.  These
kinds of cultural differences were really apparent in the 70s and 80s, when
it was part of the fun to be able to identify the synth manufacturer from
the sound being produced. The good thing about the modern stuff is that the
synthesis engines are powerful and detailed enough to give a fair
approximation of what you're after, regardless of preferences your culture
gifts to you. I never trust Yamaha presets as being indicative of what one of their instruments can do, because I know one of their sound designers and he put me wise to these kind of design decisions and policies that affect
their products.  Play with the filter and EQ parameters on your Motif and
you might be surprised as to how it warms up.

Best wishes.

Tim Burgess
Raised Bar Ltd
Phone:  +44 (0)1827 719822