[ddots-l] Re: software

  • From: "David Eagle" <deagle_889@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 00:34:26 +0100

o! my point about the rolland xp5050 softsynth was that we need one, as it
is actually a very expensive sound module. I don't think there is anything
in terms of vertual synths of that standard, however, I think a lot of
softsynths have demos, that are quite restrictive but you can work out which
one you might like. There is an interesting free softsynth which is
brilliant, called Crystal. As with most of these things, you can access the
presets quite easily but the features that advance the software doens't seem
to be accessable. This is a big shame because, you can make your own synths
simply by merging a number of presets, and it then randomly makes a new
synth, which generally sound great and you can save. Maybe someone has used
this Crystal softsynth with the mutate feature as it is called.

Also, a popular softsynth is Edirol softsynths. The best of which that I
have found is the orchestral one. This is brilliant in my opinion, and the
parameters are easy to alter. The edirol superquartet is rather good as
well, especially the guitar sounds.

I've only been using softsynths for two months however, but I can direct you
to installing the crystal synth if you want it, if you're not sure how to
install the software.